...and get the most out of your photo shoot
Before shooting with models and clients there are many questions and anxieties. I am writing this post to help quell those anxieties and offer pointers to anyone who wants to look better in photos. Some people don't believe that they are photogenic. I believe that everyone is photogenic with an ounce of confidence and knowledge. Here are my tips on how you can look your best for your photo session.
Pamper yourself. You deserve it and this is your time to shine. Hair, skin and nails. If all three are on point, you're unstoppable. This goes for women and men. A little bit of personal grooming goes a long way. Keep it simple and do not try anything new or drastic right before a shoot.
- Makeup is your friend: hire a professional makeup artist, or diy if you're gifted in makeup artistry
- Moisturize and exfoliate your skin and bring powder or oil blotting sheets if you get oily
- To avoid flashback don't use makeup products that contain SPF. Not sure if your product has SPF in it? Check the ingredients for titatnium dioxide or zinc.
- Wear lipstick. Even if you don't normally wear it. Lights tend to wash out certain features. A nice rosy color looks amazing on most skin tones. Unless you've perfected a nude lip look, I wouldn't recommend it. Gentlemen: please bring lip balm.
- Get a manicure or file and paint your nails clear.
- use hair spray and gel for flyaways and be sure to bring some with you. A little bit of shine looks great on camera. Also a comb and or brush are helpful items to bring with you.
- Wear accessories that show off your personality. A simple ring, bracelet, necklace and earrings work well in most cases. Depending on the look you're going for. For example, on an ordinary day I only wear stud earrings, boring I know. But if I know I'm being photographed I will wear a ring and necklace in addition to my usual earrings. Whatever it is, stay true to you and your vision.
- Always opt for timeless pieces - they do not have to be expensive. Burlington Coat Factory and TJ Maxx are great places to find inexpensive costumer jewelry.
- Fit is key - choose clothes that flatter your figure and make you look and feel fabulous
- wear something comfortable that will not go out of style in a year or so. You will likely look at these pictures for years to come. You want to look timeless so keep that in mind as you choose your clothing.
- Press or steam your clothing.
- Shoes matter --wear the cute ones! or don't wear any at all ;)